[Kde-bindings] Qyoto ARGB windows using C++ QApplication hack: crashes

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Sun Mar 2 17:23:39 UTC 2008

On Sunday 02 March 2008 11:55:08 Arno Rehn wrote:
> > > Oh, I forgot to mention that: I changed kalyptus to make every class
> > > partial, not only those that are explicitly listed. This makes it
> > > easier to have even the nested classes in a seperate file. The partial
> > > classes don't create problems so it should be ok.
> >
> > Well if it was a good idea for every class to be open there wouldn't be a
> > need for the 'partial' keyword in C#. All classes in Ruby, Objective-C
> > and other languages are open and so this isn't unreasonable, but it seems
> > to be going against the 'spirit of C# design' to me and I would prefer we
> > only had partial classes when we needed them.
>
> Well, 'partial' only means the classes are open at compilation time. You
> can'ta extend them later when you just reference the assembly. That's only
> possible while you are writing the 'original' version of the class. C# 3.0
> introduces the so-called 'extension methods' with which you can extend
> classes after compilation, but this doesn't have anything to do with
> partial classes.
Yes, that's right - I tend to wrongly think of this as a runtime feature in
C#. But I still don't think it is a good idea to make all qyoto classes
partial even when they're not being used as partial classes. It just makes
implementation very marginally easier for us as the expense of losing
something for the end user (ie they can't look at the class def as see
whether or not there will be an '*Extras.cs' source for the file).