[Kde-bindings] Qyoto for companies

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Tue Sep 25 06:33:13 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 10:28:15 pm David Canar wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Richard Dale <rdale at foton.es> wrote:
> > Yes, I agree Qyoto would probably work very well on Microsoft Windows and
> > Mac OS X compared with other 'cross platform toolkits'. But someone needs
> > to pay us (ie Arno and myself) to make that happen. I can't see any point
> > in giving away a commercial license for Qyoto for nothing in return.
>
> I also agree, I'm relatively new to Open Source but can't you create a
> business around Qyoto and/or other bindings? I think there is a huge
> business potential there. The .NET framework (specially C#) is
> becoming the standard in Windows programming and I bet there are tons
> of Windows Qt users that would love to transition from C++ to C# . You
> could give away the Open Source bindings and charge for the
> "commercial" ones (and for technical support.) Additionally sooner or
> later Trolltech will need to transition to C# and at that point it
> will be in Trolltech's best interest to buy Qyoto and that is how you
> would make the money. (I guess it sounds so easy but it may require a
> lot of time and money).
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Uhm....

Trolltech will need to transition to C#??? Not very likely. They have a solid
market with what they do.

While they could use a good binding framework like Smoke, it is very unlikely
that they will transition what they do from C++. Yes, they have QtJambi for
Java, but their core business is C++ Widgets and the Qtopia environment.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net