[Kde-bindings] Patch for building QtRuby 1.4.9 with windows msvc6

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Wed Jun 27 10:50:44 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 08:50:34 am Richard Dale wrote:
> > Kenichi Matsumoto has successfully built QtRuby 1.4.9 with msvc6, see
> > here:
> >
> > http://www.jzkey.com/qtruby/
> >
> > Which is really good news.
> >
> > However, the patch he has made to the marshalling code (please find
> > attached) is pretty extensive and I wonder if we can make the same code
> > build on all platforms.
> >
> > -- Richard
>
> To be completely honest, you shouldn't be supporting MSVC6, but only MSVC7
> and above. The reason for this is that the compiler in VC6 isn't standards
> compliant at all. When I was working at a closed source software house,
> when we moved to VC7 it made porting to Linux and Mac OS X much more likely
> as there were a number of changes needed to get it to compile right on VC7
> that brought their code much closer to ANSI standard.
Ah ok, I didn't realise that MSVC6 wasn't the current compiler. The use of
templates for the marshalling code didn't seem that fancy to me, and I
couldn't see why it needed such a lot of changes. It sounds as though it
should work with VC7 though. I assume there aren't any binary compatibility
problems once it actually does compile and so what Kenichi Matsumoto has done
is still really useful for getting qtruby off the ground on Windows.