[Kde-bindings] Patch for building QtRuby 1.4.9 with windows msvc6

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Wed Jun 27 02:38:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 08:50:34 am Richard Dale wrote:
> Kenichi Matsumoto has successfully built QtRuby 1.4.9 with msvc6, see here:
>
> http://www.jzkey.com/qtruby/
>
> Which is really good news.
>
> However, the patch he has made to the marshalling code (please find
> attached) is pretty extensive and I wonder if we can make the same code
> build on all platforms.
>
> -- Richard

To be completely honest, you shouldn't be supporting MSVC6, but only MSVC7 and
above. The reason for this is that the compiler in VC6 isn't standards
compliant at all. When I was working at a closed source software house, when
we moved to VC7 it made porting to Linux and Mac OS X much more likely as
there were a number of changes needed to get it to compile right on VC7 that
brought their code much closer to ANSI standard.