[Kde-bindings] A Qyoto pre-release

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Sat Jun 2 10:50:57 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 schrieb Richard Dale:
> On Friday 01 June 2007, Arno Rehn wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 schrieb Richard Dale:
> > > Hi David

> > > OK good news. I think the problem with 'int&' arg types that we're
> > > discussing at the moment is a bit of a show stopper, but doing a
> > > practice package is certainly a good idea while we get it fixed.
> >
> > Well, the issue is solved now I think and so we can soon do the real
> > release. But first I'd like to strong name qt-dotnet.dll so it can be
> > installed into the GAC.
>
> I'm not sure what this involves, but installing into the GAC sounds a good
> idea, and changing the cmake install rules so it does that.
>
> > Also it would be nice if all the sources are
> > generated from the Qt headers. Generating the sources from the headers
> > already works nice as far as I know, but when I tried it last time, I
> > ended up with a lot of unnecessary files. I'd say we need to tweak the
> > headers list then or add another file in which it says which files are
> > actually used.
>
> Yes, by the time KDE4 is released I think we should do that. But while
> we're still improving the code generation it's better to have the sources
> in the svn still.
>
> > Further I would suggest to split up the SMOKE and the Qyoto part. I'd do
> > the same for QtRuby. There are now more than three projects that make use
> > of SMOKE, so it's unnecessary that every project compiles the library
> > again.
>
> They shouldn't all be compiling it if it's already compiled should they?
If you just work with the kdebindings from SVN, that is true, but consider a
user who need qt4-qtruby and compiled it, together with SMOKE. Now he comes
across a project which uses Qyoto, so he downloads qyoto and again SMOKE is
compiled and installed. Then, for whatever reason, he needs PerlQt and there
is again SMOKE compiled and installed...
There is no check in the CMakeLists.txt whether there is already a SMOKE
library, so it will always be compiled. Also the additional sources just
increases the size of our releases, so why not just split it up?

arno at arnorehn.de