[Kde-bindings] Smoke for KDE4

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Tue Oct 17 19:43:21 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 20:32, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Paulo J. Matos <pocm at soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can't seem to find a way to build smoke for KDE4. I'm looking into
> > kdebindings SVN but no cmake/configure utility files. How can I do
> > this?
>
> Well, this evening has been a great adventure. As someone wishing to
> create bindings for KDE4 I went on to build kdebindings svn, naively
> thinking that would be easy.
> (with the help of David Faure and comments from Thiago)
> - I pulled SVN, no way to make.
> - Had to get unsermake from kdenonbeta trunk, make -f Makefile.cvs worked.
> - Tried to configure. Couldn't detect libQtGui_debug. After a billion
> symlinks in qt-unstable/lib dir I got it right.
> - Configure went on and stopped due to its search for kdewidgets.la...
> but kdewidgets.la don't exist anymore since KDE4 doesn't seem to use
> .la. Edited admin/acinclude.m4.in.
> - Configure went on and finished to what seem to be... successful.
> - make doesn't work:
> kdebindings $ make
> WARNING: use unsermake instead of make or use a wrapper script, e.g.
> makeobj!!! /home/kdedev/unsermake/unsermake all
> ERROR:dcopperl/Makefile: FULLPERL defined twice
> smoke/kde/Makefile.am: there are dependencies for the source file
> x_1.cpp without
>  rules to generate it. This should most probably read as
>  dependencies for the object file.
>
> and quite some other errors like this... Is there a way out of here?
> If I try to proceed to build smoke (that's the only thing I need):
> (after qtguess.pl which was already run by configure)
> kdebindings/smoke/qt $ ./generate.pl
> Found 'qtdefines'. Reading preprocessor symbols from there...
> kalyptus: no input files.
>
> Please... any suggestions?
Well I've started working on Smoke for kde4, but I hadn't checked anything in
yet. I'll check in what I have as it's a start. First I need to get the code
generation working, and then sometime change from autoconf to cmake. However,
there is a lot of custom perl configuration code, and I don't know how that
will fit in. The names of the Qt4 libs are hard-coded as the debug versions,
and so I've hacked my local copy of the autoconf stuff to change them to the
release names. I'll check in what I've done so far anyway.

The Qt4 only version of Smoke will build, but you really need to download the
QtRuby 1.4.6 package from the RubyForge korundum site, as the configure in
the kde svn isn't very friendly, as you've found out. That one doesn't need
unsermake, and is generally easier to get going with:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/