[Kde-bindings] kdebindings in KDE trunk: how to move forward

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Mon Nov 20 19:25:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 18:29, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 21:40, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > I'd like to get the discussion started on how we want to structure the
> > kdebindings module as we move forward.  I'd like to propose that we get
> > rid
> > of the toplevel build stuff like it is now and subdivide each of the
> > sections into language categories:
> > kdebindings/ruby
> > kdebindings/java
> > kdebindings/perl
> > etc
> > that way, we can package the bindings project up per language instead of
> > packaging them up as a whole group and having to do global checks for the
> > presence of interpreters, libraries, and headers.
> >
> > Perhaps smoke, kalpytus, and ? can all go into kdebindings/utilities
> > Any thoughts?

> Sounds good to me, but I don't really have much opinion either way. What
> about
> lightweight scripting projects for dbus like we had for dcop - should they
> go
> in a separate 'dbus-scriptiing' directory or under kdebindings/ruby,
> kdebindings/python etc?

I always thought that distributing the bindings in language specific tarballs
made more sense, and may actually simplify the life of packagers who are
tasked with all of the support software for one language. (i.e. the guy
working on a distro probably handles _all_ of the Python/Ruby/etc related
packages together, while someone else handles the other languages).

Even if you're just compiling at home, you are probably only interested in one
language at a time...

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/