[Kde-bindings] Jambi

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Sat Jul 29 13:57:17 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 12:33 am, Ashley Winters wrote:
> Sadly, it doesn't seem like the Trolls were able to come up with a
> better way to implement virtual function overrides than I did. They
> just derive from every class like Smoke does [1]. :(

I'm afraid this is the only real way to do it that is supported by more than
one compiler...

> There's nothing too special about their signal/slot interface, either.
> It'll be interesting to see what their XML file format actually does
> for them, and how they manipulate their copy of the full Qt API.

Hmm, where have I heard of using an XML file for describing the API and for
providing custom code? ;)

> Their "technique" seems worth adopting for KDE, once open-sourced, as
> long as it's not actually written *IN* Java!

I have it on good authority this is written in C++ and makes extensive use of
Roberto Raggi's C++ parser which is also used for:

1.  KDevelop's new parser
2.  The qt3 to qt4 porting tool
3.  Generating the specs for Qt's inclusion in LSB

> 1. see page 14 of the whitepaper @
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/resolveuid/23a8f998b27c2640
>e5d343cbe6e119b0
>
> Anyone else going to keep an eye on the Jambi mailing-list?

I probably will.