[Kde-bindings] KDE Socket problem on smbfs mounted homedirs

Bjoern Olausson spamsuxx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 15:30:34 UTC 2005

Hi all,

i am currently trying to integrate Linux into an existing Domain
(Domain is hostet by a Samba Server). This Domain consists of 7000
Users and 24 Workstations with WinXP. Now I have successfully
installes Linux on all 24 Workstations. Gnome works fine, but I like
KDE much more. So i installed KDE.

Kde doesn't behave nice because of the sockets and Symlinks kde
creates in the homedir.

When starting KDE for the first time I get the following error:

Could not read network connection List
/home/BIOPOOL/ba8wr/.DCOPserver_pool04__0
Check that the DOCP server is running.

after hitting OK, X restarts.

the second error is

Configuration could not be saved.

Configuration file "/home/BIOPOOL/ba8wr/.kde/share/config/ksplashrc"
will not be saved
Configuration file "/home/BIOPOOL/ba8wr/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals"
will not be saved

(I translated it from german to english, so this might not be the same
as in default english)

Loging in a second time there are no more errors and KDE runs fine...
Maybe it is only kdeinit which makes problems.

The smb share is motunted for testingpurpose with umask=0777

Changing $KDEHOME is no sollution, because if a user logs into an
other machine, he has to redo all his configuration.

The only solution I see ist to keep KDE from crating the sockets in
the homedir and maybe stop the symlinking.

Now my Question:
Is there a way to tell KDE to do all socket operation on /tmp/ ?

Or any other solution is wellcome.

Thanks a lot
Bjoern