[Kde-bindings] KOffice Scripting for KDE4 (Was Re: Moving kross(kexi/scriptingcore) in libs)

Ryan p0z3r at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 4 00:14:20 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 16:45, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2005 22:19, Adam Treat wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would just like to point out that from discussions with the Ian, Aaron,
> > Matt, and Ryan at OSDW, I think the future of scripting in KDE4 might
> > follow a different path...
> >
> > There is talk of integrating the interpreter loading in the KParts
> > framework. This would allow us to have, among other things, genuine
> > KParts that could be written in several different languages as well as
> > embedded within regular C++ applications.  Regardless, I know Ian is
> > hoping to have kjsembed available to all KDE applications for KDE4.  I'll
> > let Ian and Aaron expand here, but I don't want to see KOffice apps
> > detour from the greater KDE scripting/binding community if it can be
> > avoided.
>
> Me neither, but with one big proviso: previous attempts at adding scripting
> to KOffice apps have always been halted because something great and KDE
> wide was going to come along in a moment. It never came along, and KOffice
> still doesn't have scripting. Five years or so after the Python community
> got all excited because KOffice was going to have Python scripting
> throughout...
>
> So if this KDE4 magic doesn't materialize, fully-formed, including a
> usable, pluggable IDE for scripting and a sensible way for people to manage
> their scripts, in a very short time period, say before March, I guess we'll
> have to make do with what we can come up ourselves. Talk doesn't buy us
> anything but even more delays.

I don't see why it can't be ready by March.  Ian and others seemed fairly
confident that much of the work was already done and that since there was at
least one scripting bridge into kparts already that it would be simple to
implement the other languages.  I can't remember if the working language was
kjsembed or python, but either way, work had already started in the direction
discussed.

> Personally, I think the Sebastian Sauer's kross thing is pretty cool -- and
> given that it works already, maybe something for the dreamers to take a
> look at? And build upon kross, instead of reinventing the wheel again?

I've not read up on kross yet.  From what I can find it is the scripting
interface into kexi?