[Kde-bindings] KOffice Scripting for KDE4 (Was Re: Moving kross(kexi/scriptingcore) in libs)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Nov 3 21:45:45 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 22:19, Adam Treat wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would just like to point out that from discussions with the Ian, Aaron,
> Matt, and Ryan at OSDW, I think the future of scripting in KDE4 might
> follow a different path...
>
> There is talk of integrating the interpreter loading in the KParts
> framework. This would allow us to have, among other things, genuine KParts
> that could be written in several different languages as well as embedded
> within regular C++ applications.  Regardless, I know Ian is hoping to have
> kjsembed available to all KDE applications for KDE4.  I'll let Ian and
> Aaron expand here, but I don't want to see KOffice apps detour from the
> greater KDE scripting/binding community if it can be avoided.

Me neither, but with one big proviso: previous attempts at adding scripting to
KOffice apps have always been halted because something great and KDE wide was
going to come along in a moment. It never came along, and KOffice still
doesn't have scripting. Five years or so after the Python community got all
excited because KOffice was going to have Python scripting throughout...

So if this KDE4 magic doesn't materialize, fully-formed, including a usable,
pluggable IDE for scripting and a sensible way for people to manage their
scripts, in a very short time period, say before March, I guess we'll have to
make do with what we can come up ourselves. Talk doesn't buy us anything but
even more delays.

Personally, I think the Sebastian Sauer's kross thing is pretty cool -- and
given that it works already, maybe something for the dreamers to take a look
at? And build upon kross, instead of reinventing the wheel again?

I miss Richard Dale in your cc-list, by the way... And maybe it would be a
good idea to also add Phil Thompson, Simon Edwards and Jim Bublitz to the
list of people who may have something interesting to say? They weren't at
OSDW, but they all have worked on scripting bindings for Qt and KDE, and
there isn't any larger KDE scripting/binding community than PyQt/KDE.
--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi