Ruby and KDE (Re: [Kde-bindings] qtruby compile error)

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 28 02:19:43 UTC 2004

Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Ah I see - that's interesting - I don't know about how the news distribution
> system works and how one site coordinates with another. Machiavellians are
> indeed somewhat paranoid :).

It mostly works by volunteers/readers manually submitting stuff
sadly...  Btw:

Hopefully another couple of surprises in store.

> Yes, it's much faster to develop apps without all that makefile/preprocessor
> stuff.>

I am feverishly learning Ruby now, although I can't afford the time
and distraction!

I love how you can just add or redefine a method in Object or Kernel
and see it pop up everywhere.  Blocks still trouble me somewhat.  I'm
still trying to understand how this is different or better than
higher-order functions and such.  Although maybe for iterators in
particular they are more elegant.

Also, I don't like that you have to explicitly do Proc.call on a
function object.  It reminds me of how nasty Common Lisp is with it's
(funcall #'function) syntax compared to the elegance of Scheme.

However, it might not actually be that bad in actual use and having
KDE/Qt for Ruby is big plus over the archaic Lisp environments out
there.  It's a killer combination every way you look at it.

How slow is Ruby right now that it needs a JIT?  Can Korundum be
realistically advocated for primary application development?

Cheers,
Navin.