[Kde-bindings] Re: Re: Re: qtruby: Qt::TextView issue?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 06:17:17 UTC 2004

On Saturday 25 September 2004 00:26, Arash Abedinzadeh wrote:
> > No, I can't possibly translate the Qt documentation to ruby any time
> > soon. So please carry on asking questions on this list. Can you post the
> > source code and the png image to make it easy to debug the problem? I've
> > attached the PerlQt doc that Germain wrote - just ignore anything PerlQt
> > specific things.
>
> Thanks, Germain's documentation helped a lot. Today I started learning C++
> and it was a real surprise. Trolltech's docs are very good and not too hard
> to understand when you read and learn a bit about the C++ language.
Good that's encouraging. I'll try and translate the PerlQt doc to ruby/rdoc
soon. I think that to write C++ code there's a lot of learning involved. But
to know enough to understand the docs, should be a lot less. I assume it's
just knowing that 'const char *' is a sort of string and things like that.
I've been programming C/C++ for so long it's difficult to know what the
difficult bits are.

> I think there's no need for debugging because it was my fault of course,
> qtruby works great (Thank you for the correction, Navindra). You're
> probably right, it would be too much work to translate the whole C++ API
> documention. I just thought there could be much more people using qtruby if
> there was a ruby documentation of your bindings. Especially those methods
> and classes which are not mentioned in example scripts or in qtruby HOWTOs.
If anyone translates more of the examples I can add them to the project - I
think having sample code is really important. It might be possible to extract
the C++ documentation from the Qt sources and autotranslate to ruby rdoc
sometime. That's easier with the KDE documentation because it's in the
headers rather than the sources, so I can use the kalyptus header parser to
do it.