[Kde-bindings] KDE C and Objective-C bindings now retired

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 11:17:38 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 10:26, Marcus wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2004 10:11 am, Richard Dale wrote:
> > There's no such thing as 'my own way of doing things', we're doing things
> > in a collaborative manner with alternative solutions subject to peer
> > review (get that word *peer* ).
>
> I do not recall anyone's even attempting to collaborate. It seems more like
> things were dictated. "QtC will be removed from CVS."
How was I supposed to regenerate the C bindings for Qt 3.3, when all that
would have happened was the Qt# build would break? How could I get the
Objective-C bindings going again, without being able to regenerate them?

On Saturday 27 March 2004 10:22, Marcus wrote:
> > Are C# and Java are better for GUI programming than Objective-C/Cocoa?
>
> I have spoken with people from Apple. Apple is investigating this question.

> What's more the idea of your being a "peer" is questionnable, given that
> you seem to disappear for 3-6 months at a time -- or was it just that one
> occasion?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The java bindings have been regenerated ok
for every KDE release since about 2.0 or so. But they have not been
successful enough to have a critical mass of 'support community', so that
they could still function if I temporarily disappeared/fell under a bus.

But I really think QtRuby/Korundum would carry on fine without me, because the
technology they contain is well known to several people (eg Alex, Germain and
Ashley). I did the java bindings single handedly, but the ruby ones are a
collaborative effort and much stronger for it.