[Kde-bindings] KDE C and Objective-C bindings now retired

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 10:11:12 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 09:40, Marcus wrote:
> On Saturday 27 March 2004 9:30 am, Richard Dale wrote:
> > That's an argument for having a copy on Sourceforge, it isn't an argument
> > for not maintaining it in the CVS or to ignore KDE releases.
>
> As far as I have seen Qt# compiled just fine in kdebindings. There had not
> been much development on it for a while, so there wasn't much to change in
> CVS. When I did check, Qt# was compiling fine.
This is what I heard:

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 16:42, Adrian Schroeter wrote:
> I am now at qtsharp. The stuff in kdebindings do not work with dotgnu stuff
> (I didn't test with mono). However the qtsharp 0.7 release works (means is
> building) here.
>
> IMHO, we should either update or disable qtsharp for now. The qtsharp 0.7
> build system would need some fixes.
>
> Do you have any opinion about ?
> I can prepare a patch for you, if you want.
>
> I do not think coolo has anything against the update, given that the
> current version do not work.

And Adrian then carried on and fixed it.

> > I am not attempting to sabotage Qt#. What I would like is to see it as a
> > KDE project, attempting to wrap to KDE classes and release according to
> > KDE release schedules. Even if the new QtC arrives immediately, it won't
> > wrap KDE, only Qt. You haven't said how it differs from the current QtC
> > and how easy it might to extend to the KDE classes (the obsolete C
> > bindings wrapped the KDE classes too).
>
> To be blunt, I do not believe you. I think that you are lying. You do not
> want Qt# to suceed. You want your own way of doing things to succeed.
There's no such thing as 'my own way of doing things', we're doing things in a
collaborative manner with alternative solutions subject to peer review (get
that word *peer* ).

> > Don't forget that I killed my Objective-C bindings project which
> > represented at least six months full time work, not to say what it makes
> > my reputation looks like.
>
> Does anyone use Objective-C anymore? Even Apple is looking at C#.
Are C# and Java are better for GUI programming than Objective-C/Cocoa?
Ha, ha, ha.