[Kde-bindings] Re: py(Qt|KDE) and KDE CVS

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Sun Mar 21 22:54:08 UTC 2004

Le Dimanche 21 Mars 2004 21:09, Adriaan de Groot a écrit :
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 14:37, Richard Dale wrote:
> > Is it ok if I pull out the ruby bindings out of kdebindings then too?
> > Then we can have language bindings all over the place, and in two years
> > time someone will probably come up with an intitiative to merge the
> > various kde bindings back into a single module (cf the Gnome Platform
> > bindings). If
>
> No need to get snippy, Rich. That was an honest and straightforward
> proposal, and you could give a straightforward answer instead of making up
> fantasy situations.

Maybe the proposal sounded a tad "selfish"... I did wince too :}
As has been said countless times about C++ apps, the CVS is not intended to
provide visibility to individual projects.
The only thing we can do is clean up/reorganise the existing module if
needed, to make it easier to grasp for packagers, as Richard correctly pointed
out.

I don't think kdebindings is anywhere near the point where it would contain
too much projects for one module.

> "Since kdebindings contains _tools_ to create bindings (doesn't it,
> mostly?) and not the bindings themselves,

Where did you get that impression?
It contains bindings themselves of course.

> does it make sense to create a
> kdebindings-dist or somesuch where the results of the tools are stored?"

Not really... when the bindings aren't dynamically generated, they are already
stored in kdebindings (objective c, kjsembed, ...).
For those that use the Smoke library, the language-dependant part is either in
kdebindings (Ruby, C#, maybe Java already?) or not in KDE CVS at all (Perl),
and libsmoke itself is autogenerated at ./configure time.

Germain