[Kde-bindings] Python bindings: PyQt and PyKDE

Dominique Devriese devriese at kde.org
Fri Jun 18 15:43:35 UTC 2004

(CC'ing kde-bindings, you seem to have accidentally removed the cc )

Simon Edwards writes:

>> > Hello all, I'm almost ready to commit a copy of PyQt and PyKDE
>> > (and the binding generator SIP) to CVS.
>> Does this mean that the development of these things will continue
>> in KDE CVS ?  In other words: is this a copy of the code in KDE
>> CVS, a fork of the project in KDE CVS, or a move of the project to
>> KDE CVS ?

> It is a copy from outside KDE CVS. The idea is to make sure that KDE
> ships with an up-to-date and easy to compile set of Python bindings
> that match and work with the given version of KDE. Managing versions
> between KDE and all 3 parts that make up the python bindings and
> getting an working set, has been a problem in the past.

I see.  I'm personally no big fan of keeping copy's of third party
code in KDE CVS.  Do you think there's any chance upstream would move
to KDE CVS ?

And btw, this does mean that you'll be maintaining the copy in KDE
CVS, right ?  I mean updating it when necessary, making sure it builds
etc.

>> Is there still some development happening on the upstream of this
>> project ?

> Definately yes. (loopt als een trein).

Cool.  (didn't know you spoke dutch btw :) )

>> However, I think that if we ask on kde-core-devel, few people will
>> have objections to another DFSG-free license.  Probably, just the
>> policy needs updating.

> I don't have write access to kde-core-devel, could you forward my
> question on to kde-core-devel? I look at the 3.3 schedule and feel
> the time slipping away...

I'm sure the update of the policy is no reason to delay a commit.
It's something that needs sorting out, but imho not necessarily before
the commit.  And you can still send your question to kde-core-devel
yourself, I'd be surprised if the moderators rejected it.

>> > What I've done is put everything under a 'python' directory in
>> > the root of kdebindings, put sip, pyqt and pykde under 'python'
>> > as well as a Makefile.am file to bridge kdebinding's auto* build
>> > system and the existing (and debugged) build system that sip,
>> > pyqt and pykde use.
>> Is this intended as a permanent solution, or are you planning to
>> change it to use the KDE build system in the future ?

> Right now I don't have time to re-do the build system for 3.3. As
> for after 3.3, I'm not sure. The 'cons' to re-doing the build system
> are 1) that it would introduce bugs, 2) make it harder update the
> copy from upstream (read: bugs and time). As for the 'pros', I don't
> know, depends on how much of a 'con' _not_ redoing the build system
> is IYKWIM. :-)

K, I was just wondering.  I wouldn't do it myself either, given that
there will be a need for syncing up with upstream...

cheers
domi