[Kde-bindings] Replace saxon.jar and xalan.jar with a link ?

Dominique Devriese devriese at kde.org
Tue Jun 8 20:39:16 UTC 2004

Marco Ladermann writes:

> Hi Domi, Am Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 14:39 schrieb Dominique Devriese:
>>
>> Ok, does anyone know where these things can be downloaded and what
>> versions are needed exactly ?

> Because the stylesheets make have use of the extension library
> (http://exslt.org) to standard 1.0 XSL and different JDK's are
> provided with old versions of xerces/xalan, I put the jars I found
> to work into CVS. Indeed it is worth to discuss if we really need
> them. If xsltproc is installed we have allready a fast, reliable and
> working xslt processor. For all those people who want to use a pure
> java build system, it might be preferable to use xalan or saxon (of
> course, only one of them is needed). But may be they can download
> the jars as needed? I'm not sure.

Most distributions include at least one of the three xslt processors
needed.  Don't you think it's enough to add a README saying that they
are necessary ?

After all, we don't include other dependencies to kdebindings either,
it would become a big mess if we included compiled versions of python,
j2sdk, gcc and whatnot.  Including stuff like this is a very bad idea
in general.  I understand that it may have been a good idea when
certain CVS versions were necessary, but I'd really like to see them
removed atm.

By the way, if you agree, I'm planning to add the proper Makefile.am's
for juic after my exams, since I don't think is really no reason for
not installing it, I think.

cheers
domi