[Kde-bindings] Release at the end of the month

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 18:16:10 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 18:20, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> ian reinhart geiser writes:
> > 	I noticed a huge number of java commits, so I wanted to see if
> > 	we should have a full release here in a few weeks.  It might
> > 	make it easier on packagers.
>
> I've been working on java myself lately, and annoying other people
> into doing stuff for me ;), so I guess I can comment on this..
No worries, at all! - you've managed to get the java bindings moving again
with the Debian/gcj packaging, and now Marco has the juic tool working, it
will really make a difference too (especially if juic is integrated with
KDevelop). I think that deserves some sort of kde.dot.news item by itself.

> The latest commits were mostly bugfixes, and most of them have been
> backported to KDE_3_2_BRANCH.  So I don't think there would be any
> special benefit from a separate release to the *java stuff.
>
> Note that I'm not commenting on the benefits of a separate release in
> general.  Personally, I'd like to see it happen, because of the
> interest it may create.  I'm wondering about whether this doesn't need
> to be discussed on kde-core-devel as well ?
I don't think we need a seperate bindings release. But the current KDE release
rules seem to mean that if you can't get something ready for the initial KDE
xx.0 release, then you can't add it subsequently. This isn't intentional, but
bindings aren't like kdelibs or kde apps and it isn't possible to follow the
same release rules easily at all. Eg. PyKDE isn't ready for the KDE 3.2
release yet.

But I think the idea of announcing everything all at once is really good -
there will be more impact. What we really need to do is put kdebindings on
the map, and stop people thinking of it as some sort of 'interesting
prototype' stuff.