[Kde-bindings] Re: [Mono-list] I give up

Joseph Bennie jay at lincore.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 22:12:02 UTC 2004

Respect.

We've all been there at some point.

Don't get me started on GUI's' i don't have the time either.

Yes i could learn QT or GTK or even one of the alternatives but i
really believe that the secret to GUI development  with mono is a
completely working System.drawing layer which on the linux will mean
the libgdi+ stuff working and and equivalent pass through to Quartz on
the mac.

I know that there are some people working on libgdi+ (i also expect any
pass through will be implemented as part of this near the end once the
linux/X version works) this but it will probably take the best part of
this year to get to a mature release, and until then i would

a) avoid developing gui tools for linux
b) use gtk# if you have to. (I agree QT is nice but gtk seams to have
popular support and that is what matters )

For the moment I'm honing my c# skills in the windows world but as i
have to support products on the mac, solaris and linux, i'd really like
to see my custom gui widgets, or even the standard windows.controls
working without having to alter a line of code.

So if there is anyone out there with the skills/resources to help the
team working on libgdi+ or system.drawing , please help them get there
faster.

Ps for those thinking that gtk will eventually win out as the toolkit
of choice, i disagree - a clone of windows.forms implmented using
system.drawing will win due the the existing skill-base of developers
migrating from windows. Remember to the rest of us who are just looking
to be productive, we don't want to have to learn new tricks if we don't
have to. and thats purely down to the reality of not having time to do
everything one would like to.

and one last point I've already spent money on my developer tools so
unless some one is building a gtk plugin for visualstudio, developing
apps in gtk is not going to happen for me anytime soon, and it's going
to be a while until there are tools as good as visual studio on linux
unless the sharp develop team successfully port to linux. No doubt if
the investment in time and resources is put into this then it will
happen, but at the moment VisualStudio has a big lead.

so ending this mail I'd like to say to Marcus, yes they are a hostile
bunch but its when people force you to think harder and consider points
of view you hate to acknowledge may be right, that the team will
produce the best work. and that my friend is why opensource is the best
way to develop software.

all the best
Jay