[Kde-bindings] Re: [Mono-list] I give up

Giuseppe Greco giuseppe.greco at agamura.com
Thu Apr 8 05:25:38 UTC 2004

Hi Marcus,

Of course, Mono is still under development, but the most
important components are there, and they work. Here, at
Agamura, we are developing a sophisticated online gaming
delivery network on Linux with Mono, and up to now, we
have had just few problems... Furthermore, when we report
a bug, it is always fixed in a short time!

Mono's implementation of ASP.NET is also usable and
mod_mono/apache seems to be faster than .NET/ISS.

We use NAnt as build tool, and we are able to compile a
project either on Linux or MS Windows with no changes
(even if we compile on Windows just for test purposes).

I think Mono will be one of the best .NET alternatives...
and don't forget that behind Mono there is a company
like Novell...

So, don't feel frustrated and go ahead.

j3d.

> After trying to work with Mono, Portable.NET, Qt, and KDE, I've realized
> that
> I'm fighting a battle that I cannot win. Mono supports Gtk# (and GTK+) to
> the
> exclusion of any other platform. Portable.NET is behind their own SWF
> implementation, but at least they are a bit more agnostic. The Qt/KDE
> community seems to find the entire concept of C# and its use of metadata
> and
> JIT compilation repulsive.
>
> I'm tired of trying and failing. I'm tired of having no one to support me.
> I'm
> tired of feeling isolated and alone.
>
> It's just not worth it. Maybe I will end up Windows XP and .NET. Who
> knows. I
> just know that the Free software community has got to be the most hostile
> and
> intolerant group of people I have ever encountered.

Giuseppe Greco

::agamura::

phone:  +41 (0)91 604 67 65
mobile: +41 (0)76 390 60 32