[Kde-bindings] Some common solutions/problems

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 19:58:32 UTC 2003

Hi all,

First, I want to say thanks for creating this list Germain.  I think this will
help foster cooperation and mutual solutions among the various bindings.
Here are some thinks I'd like to see as well as a couple issues on my mind:

1.  We are making a version of subset of QtC at the moment because we require
some special glue that QtC does not include.  We require a tight coupling
between the generation of our C glue and the actual Qt# binding.  Our subset
will only include overloads for virtual methods and ctors at this time.  We
are calling Qt directly for everything else and it remains to be seen how
this will turn out.  We also require the declaration of a pointer so we can
store a pointer to our managed objects in all of the inherited glue classes.
For these reasons I don't know if a shared qtc library is appropriate for us
right now.

2.  We've found a way to override all of the qt virtual functions and I'll
post a prototype for this in a little bit.  I think the Java bindings could
use this strategy too.

3.  I think the Qt bindings for the various binding projects should probably
live somewhere outside of kde-cvs or perhaps in qt-copy itself.  We've had
problems where people complain about the KDE dependency on the build system
which has led us to fork the build of QtC as well as maintain two versions of
qtsharp...  We are probably going to use qmake for our build in the future to
minimize the dependencies and make things easier.

That's it for now but I wanted to share these thoughts to see what you all
think.

Cheers,

Adam