kBeagleBar 0.5.0

D Bera dbera.web at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:31:15 CET 2008

Name: kBeagleBar
Version: 0.5.0
Type: KDE Improvement
Depend: KDE 3.4.x
License: LGPL

   Announcing release of kBeagleBar-0.6.0 - a KDE
kicker applet for beagle. This release is
compatible with beagle-0.3.0 and libbeagle1.

  kBeagleBar sits in the kicker panel and wakes up
with Ctrl-Alt-Space (*configurable now*). The
results are presented in a menu to allow easy
navigation and selection. It allows right clicking
on results in the menu to perform alternate
actions (similar to konqueror right click context
menu).

  kBeaglebar package now comes with another tool -
beaglekontrol. beaglekontrol (as seen in the 3rd
screenshot) is a simple tool to control beagle
service. Its similar to beagle-settings of Gnome
and is based on the code of kerry.

  kBeagleBar is mostly suitable when the user
knows the right query terms so that the required
result appears in the top few.

  kBeagleBar requires KDE >= 3.4.2 and libbeagle1
>= 0.3.0.

  Beagle supports a rich query syntax and
kBeagleBar adds some more options to it to make
searches very powerful. Current release includes
the documentation, which contains the details of
the query syntax.

Feedback is highly appreciated. Send mails
directly to me at dbera DOT web AT gmail DOT com.

!!! KNOWN ISSUE !!!:
-----------
If the number of search results is too high
(despite 5 per category), then Qt wraps the menus
in two columns. That breaks the rendering in an
ugly way. To work around it, close the popup menu
(click somewhere else or press escape) and then
reopen the menu. I dont think I will be fixing it
unless I hear a few complains or get a patch from
somebody.

HELP
----
I was not able to add beaglecontrol to the menu
even after long hours of Makefile messing. Help or
suggestions on that is most welcome. Further, I
tried to give an icon to kbeaglebar (not the tray
icon but the tooltip icon) which didnt work as
well. Last of all, the tray icon of kbeaglebar
(face of a beagle in a ugly red sort-of magnifying
glass) is a result of my superior artistic skills
;-). Any help in th artwork is highly welcome.

URLs:
----
 beagle: http://beagle-project.org
 yabi:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=33222
  kbeaglebar sf page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=159906

Changelog:
 * Update for beagle-0.3.0 and libbeagle1