[Kde-announce-apps] WorKflow 0.1

Thomas Kadauke tkadauke at gmx.de
Thu Aug 3 16:02:07 CEST 2006

Name: WorKflow
Version: 0.1
Type: KDE Improvement
Depend:
License: GPL
Homepage:

 WorKflow -- Automates the Desktop

First off, WARNING: This ist pre-alpha software,
which can be used to destroy your personal data.
Do not use it with original files. Do *NEVER* run
it as root.

This software allows to automate time-consuming
tasks across the KDE desktop. This is accomplished
by breaking down tasks into single steps, called
commands. Each command can take input data from
the previous command and can output data to the
next command, while optionally providing a
user-interface to let the user customize its
parameters (see screenshots).

Currently, not a lot of commands are implemented.
However, several tasks can be automated already.
Examples are:

- Get Images, Scale them down, Rotate them
selectively and Move them to a certain place (even
some online resource, like an FTP server).
- Select a folder, Find all files inside the
folder ending in ~ and Delete them.
- Select a folder, Find all files ending in .txt,
Read the files and Count the number of lines.

It is also possible to remote-control KDE
applications. There is already an addon-package
with commands to control the Kate editor, as well
as a Kate-plugin to integrate the WorKflow
application (search for the WorKflow-Kate package
on kde-apps.org). Please let me know which other
KDE applications you want to see automated.

In future versions, I plan to provide many more
commands. However, I'd like to get feedback on
what your day-to-day workflows on your KDE desktop
are, that you would like to see automated. This
way, most needed commands will be provided first.

I'd also love to get feedback on the application
itself, and, if you're a developer, on the API
provided by the WorKflow libraries.