Provision of enabling tests for frameworks

Sharaf Zaman shzam at sdf.org
Wed Jan 11 08:49:29 GMT 2023

Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 7:28 PM Sharaf Zaman <shzam at sdf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Today I encountered a bug with KConfig [1], which surfaced because of the quirks
>> of QSaveFile and Android. Even though these bugs are trivial [2], but having
>> them in code is bad (especially since, saving files, configs can be serious if
>> not done properly).
>>
>> So, I’d like to ask, is there somebody who is working on getting unit tests etc
>> to work on Android for kde-frameworks? If not, do you think it would be a good
>> idea to think about it right now? Given more and more KDE apps are getting on
>> mobile platform.
>>

>> [1]: <https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kconfig/-/merge_requests/154>
>>
>> [2]: And I wouldn’t have bothered had this happened for the first time, but I
>> had to deal quite a lot of these over the years with Krita. Having some sort of
>> testing for frameworks, could also help applications, hence I’m here :)
>>

>> Kind Regards,
>> Sharaf Zaman
>> <https://www.sh-zam.com>
>
> Hi Sharaf,
> Yes, I agree this is something that should be done. No, I’m not aware
> of anyone working on it.
>
> Running processes on Android isn’t trivial as apks are not normal
> executables. I do know Qt is doing some testing for Android, it would
> be interesting to know how they do it. Or anyone, really.
>
> This is something we could do under Season of KDE or even GSoC if
> anyone is interested.
>
> Best,
> Aleix

Hi Aleix,

>  I do know Qt is doing some testing for Android, it would be interesting to
> know how they do it.

If I remember correctly, I have looked into it a while back and they use their
tool androidtestrunner which wraps the lib<name>.so that contains main() entry
point and runs it on the device. But last I checked they didn’t do much to
handle dependencies other than Qt ones (same as androideployqt). Hence we may
need ECM to do something similar for us.

> This is something we could do under Season of KDE or even GSoC if
> anyone is interested.

Even if we can just get the compilation+packaging part working it would be a
great way to cure this headache!