KDE is All About the Apps; Autumn 2021

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 24 06:39:02 GMT 2021

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 1:58 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > At the last goals sprint we discussed having another round of meetings
> > to see how we have progressed since Akademy.
> >
> https://www.proli.net/2021/08/07/kde-is-all-about-the-apps-an-akademy-2021-recap/
> >
> > To do so I'd suggest meeting by platforms and see what's the state of
> > the topics we discussed at Akademy.
> >
> > Linux: https://framadate.org/3NOgc9PCQ9j4kGkm
> > Android: https://framadate.org/RiGJHdcKyx1BJ2ff
> > Windows: https://framadate.org/6VMz62bs4ee7MJpo
> > Mac: https://framadate.org/f4q8T3UPhHncJFzu
> >
> > Feel free to register yourself to the meetings you would like to
> > attend. If you think something is missing, feel free to reach out.
> >
> > Topics to discuss:
> > - State of the CI, invent.kde.org
> > - Adoption of the different apps
> > - Make a living position for apps
> > - Whatever we left TBD in the Akademy meeting
>
> Hi everyone,

Hi all,

> Let's do the following:
> Windows - Wednesday 24th - 17:00
> macOS - Thursday 25th - 17:00
> Linux - Thursday 25th - 19:00
>
> We can meet here:
> https://meet.kde.org/b/ale-cgt-bbb
>
> Only Volker reached out about Android, so will follow up with you on
> #kde-android:kde.org and maybe we can see what conversation do we
> actually need to have over there, maybe the week after.

While I cannot make any of the above times unfortunately given one of the
points is on CI and i've done a bit of work in that regard I thought i'd
give an update on that:

In terms of Gitlab CI - The "seed" jobs which build all the dependencies of
projects needed to support the actual build of all of our projects are now
in place. In the case of Frameworks, Release Service, Plasma and
Independently Released Applications these are now passing on Linux for
'@latest' (ie. master). PIM is still giving issues on Linux unfortunately
mostly due to lacking dependency information in the .kde-ci.yml files in
those repositories. For FreeBSD, I have just initiated those same seed jobs
now which may indicate that changes are needed in the .kde-ci.yml files for
some projects. Once FreeBSD is passing Android will be the next logical
step.

Once those are all successful it should be possible for all projects to
begin enabling CI coverage for their 'master' branches.

Enabling builds on stable branches will require bringing the necessary
.kde-ci.yml files to those repositories, and specifying the appropriate
branch names in branch-rules.yaml which can be found in
sysadmin/repo-metadata.

The biggest thing developers can do right now to assist with this process
is:
1) If someone in another release unit depends on your project, specify the
relevant branches for both '@latest' and '@stable' in branch-rules.yaml
2) Ensure that .kde-ci.yml is in place, with the appropriate dependency
definitions for your project (especially if you have platform specific
dependencies)

With regards to Windows, initial steps have been taken to get a Docker
image building however it will still need a bit of work before it is ready
to begin looking at Frameworks builds.

At this time the Binary Factory has yet to be decided as to the method of
implementation as there are a number of complications involved surrounding
security of the system. This also affects our building of Docker images.

> Looking forward to talking to all of you!
>
> Aleix

Cheers,
Ben