F-Droid meta data generation

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Oct 25 13:26:57 GMT 2020

Hi,

I've been looking into the F-Droid meta data generation a bit, now that I am
able to run this locally and make changes to it.

The current system with generating the meta data from the final APK on the
signing system is nice in that it is entirely transparent for the app, but it
does have a few limitations:
- it's happening late in the pipeline, which makes some information hard to
access (such as the source code repository URL)
- it's running on the signing system, which requires deploying updates
manually, and presumably doing things like screenshot downloads on there isn't
ideal either from a security POV either
- it's not able to make use of manually provided parts for the meta data (e.g.
the banner image which has no equivalent in appstream).
- it's not accessible for F-Droid release builds, ie. builds running on their
infrastructure

A possible way to address this could be to move meta data generation from repo
generation to the build process, implemented as part of ECM. The resulting
meta data would then need to be transferred alongside the APKs to the signing
system for integration into the F-Droid repo, presumably this can be done by
the same mechanism as the APKs are transferred.

I think this can be done in a similarly transparent way, while now also being
able to implement merging existing meta data fragments from the source dir. By
moving to ECM this also becomes independent of our CI tooling, which should
help F-Droid release builds.

Thoughts?

@Nico: would that cover what F-Droid builds need?
@Aleix: could you add a license/copyright to the generation script (or provide
me with one) please, preferably with an ECM-compatible license?

Thanks,
Volker