supplementary-reader: text reader script

Linux A11y chrys at linux-a11y.org
Sat Jan 29 17:47:24 GMT 2022

Howdy,

like noted devin, the script looks like an very basic begin to OCRdesktop.

I just did an major rewrite. See the full story here:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ocr-desktop-60895292

https://www.patreon.com/posts/color-analyzing-60988555

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ocrdesktop-3-0-61111548

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ocrdesktop-fun-61131455

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ocrdesktop-ocr-61228691

OCRdesctop features:
- OCR the whole desktop
- OCR the current focused window
- interact with the results like simulate klicks or route the mouse to them)
- OCR files, simple images to multipage PDFs
- OCR the clipboard content
- Color analyzing of the recognized text
- macro functionality for more complex tasks (like open a menu/ submenu bevor start OCR process)
and a lot of other stuff.

It provides an UI to navigate the content, can store the result in clipboard or just output to STDOUT.

But its not though to be self voice, this is done by the screen reader.

As you plan to reimplement your functionality, maybe it makes a lot of sense to collaborate here and improve OCRdesktop in the given direction.  It’s written in pure python. Also its already in many distributions repository's. So anyone would benefit.

Would be cool to  join forces.  What do you think?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Ocrdesktop

Cheers chrys

See OCRDesktop https://github.com/chrys87/ocrdesktop <https://github.com/chrys87/ocrdesktop> for something kinda similar. Orca is a screen reader, it cannot read images though. I don’t know of anything else anywhere remotely similar to this, but I think even blind people could find this useful.
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater at gmail.com

Https://devinprater.flounder.online