Is there a project that is jovie successor? (fwd)

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Oct 25 16:01:28 BST 2021

Gustav,

Yeah, it's a bit weird since the example code is in git next to the
QTextToSpeech sources. I've included a zip file of the version from Qt
5.15.2. You should be able to build it with:

cd hello_speak
qmake
make

then run hello_speak to see the gui and try QTextToSpeech directly. Since
we've ruled out speech-dispatcher layer it's likely one of the following:

1. QtTextToSpeech is somehow sending the text to both of it's plugins
(there are 2 plugins for it on linux, flite, and speech-dispatcher, it's
only supposed to use one of them, but maybe some settings on your device
have it sending to both?)
2. QtTextToSpeech speech-dispatcher plugin is sending the text to
speech-dispatcher twice somehow.

In the example app's gui you can select which plugin it's using from the
"Engine" combo box. See if you get duplication when using flite (if flite
is an option, maybe it's not depending what your distribution ships) and
speech-dispatcher and Default.

Just curious which distribution are you using? Also which version of it?
Maybe I can recreate in a virtual machine here once I know those 2 answers.

thanks,
Jeremy