kkmouth will not work for my case

Gustav Degreef gustav97 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 12:10:51 BST 2021

You are absolutely right.  Screen readers and "text readers" like
kmouth, jovie,  Read Aloud, etc. have 2 completely different use
scenarios.  Screen readers are essentially for the blind and text
readers are for the partially sighted, as low vision aids or for those
who want to avoid eye strain.  There is a bit of overlap, but not really
much.  Both have a substantially large population of users for whom they
are indispensable tools.  I do not know of any program that combines
both functions or if it is even possible to combine them.   I use a
bunch of low bison aids such as magnifiers (of all sorts), computer text
readers, a screen reader on Android, etc.  But Orca, the Gnome
application that is the most developed (and substantially integrated
with KDE) TOTALLY gets in my way.  Not because it is a poor program, not
because it is badly designed (on the contrary), but because I can see
(partially see - as with many partially sighted people) the icons,
windows, menu items and I can (with difficulty) read menu items, etc.
For me the screen reader outputs a tremendous amount of speech that I do
not need and interrupts the flow of my work all the time.  For the
blind, the screen reader allows orientation, navigation and speech
output that is crucial.  I know that what I write is a bit simplistic
and I am sure that I did not cover all the uses of screen readers.
However, I write this because the distinction I am making between both
types of applications is very often misunderstood.  HTH, Gustav