Proposal for having accessibility as goal for KDE

chrys at linux-a11y.org chrys at linux-a11y.org
Tue Jun 11 15:57:17 BST 2019

Howdy List,

as i figured KDE is looking for new goals to accomplish.
see here:
http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2019/06/09/evolving-kde-lets-set-some-new-goals-for-kde/
I made some thoughts about that. I see Accessibility as a weak point
of KDE currently. So why not set Accessibility as a goal :). I wrote
down an small draft to discuss this.

As KDE already did/ does a lot currently for UIX improvements, I think
accessibility will integrate with this very well.
The accessibility related issues are mostly keyboard or focus
handlingproblems what impact non impaired users as well and would
improve the User experience.
i see here some other issues as well
- Keyboard handling
- Focus handling
- alternative input methods (Ibus, Voice, Braille, Dasher, OSK)
- screenreader/ ATK integration/fixes
- Magnification issues
- let me know whats missing :)

i already did a basic analysis of the current state of accessibility.
the list of issues could be used as verification indicator "where we
are" and "whats needed" to complete the goal. i would reevaluate the
upcoming Plasma 5.16 and add new sightings

it would also include having a good Human Interface Guidline (HIG) for
accessibility (the process already started here as well)

so here the result of my thoughts
https://phabricator.kde.org/T11074

let me know what you think or what is missing :).

IMO: it would be a huge benefit to KDE to be an professional environment.

cheers chrys