general accessibility question

adri adriorjalesvidal31 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 16:20:23 BST 2019

Hello all

I am a blind user of operating systems. I am using Windows as my
mainstream OS, for years, but I am searching an accessible linux distro
or something like this.

I've seen that there is a couple of accessible distros, like Vinux or
Sonar, but both are discontinued and deprecated

I use to work with debian, because I know the basic commands and I am
able to use the terminal. But the problem comes when I want to find an
accessible and lightweight desktop environment. Most desktop
environments are unaccessible, and I've tried gnome, but I don't like
it, there are so much things that Orca don't read properly, like the
left side bar, wich contains application icons, and I  don't like the
searcher that appears when I press the Super key, I think the gnome
desktop is the worst accessible desktop I've seen, but a lot of people
talks about it as the best accessible desktop, I suppose that they say
this because Orca is based on gnome desktop.

Okay, my main question is, is KDE desktop accessible? Does it uses Orca
as screen reader? or there are other screen readers on KDE desktop?

thanks in advance