KDE/ QT/ Plasma accessibility contributions

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Tue Oct 9 15:24:17 BST 2018

Hi Chrys,

I'll answer your mail inline, below.

On torsdag 23. august 2018 10.16.15 CEST chrys at linux-a11y.org wrote:
> Howdy list,
>
> My name is chrys. I m a visual impaired guy from germany. I m new to
> this list.
> Since Gnome gets more and more crippled i decide to change to KDE/ Plasma.
> And it was one of best decisions I did. Plasma is awsome and i wont
> miss it now (lol).
> I use KWins zoom plugin.

Great to hear that the zooming works :)

> My girlfrind is blind. She currently switched to Mate for the same
> reason like me. Mate is pretty accessible. But there are a lot of
> stuff missing what we would suspect from an modern desktop (search in
> menu and those stuff).
> Plasma has all that. So i decide to try plasma using Orca.
> My results: Its very slow, unstable and often hard to navigate. But it
> worked at all! thats more that i was suspecting. What tells me that
> the plasma shell already exposes the needed information to the at-spi
> (cool).
> Impressed by that results, I want start fixing up stuff for KDE/
> Plasma/ QT a11y to make work for her (and ohters) one day.
> So i read
> https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved#Accessibility
> and
> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Accessibility
> what brings me to the point to say hello here in the list :).

Wow, amazing! That means our efforts did pay off. This is really exciting to
read. I hope we can quickly improve things.

> Sadly information is very rare in a11y stuff (not only for KDE). Thats
> why i want to find others who maybe already have knowledge to Mentor
> me or wants to work together with me to raise the motivation and fun
>
> :). on my way to get touched with that.
>
> So:
> 1. Is there someone out there who wants to join my effort?

Yes, I've been trying to get things working for a long while, but I cannot do
this alone (neither time nor energy wise).

> 2. Is there someone out there who can Mentor me a bit for my first steps?

I'm happy to do that, sorry for the late reaction, I was generally busy
lately.

> 3. Is there an effort what already exists what i can maybe join?

I think there are some tasks on phabricator which KDE uses for planning.

https://phabricator.kde.org/ is the general website, also used for code
review.

There is a project for Plasma Accessibility:
https://phabricator.kde.org/project/view/249/

I think the first thing would be to go through the list and see what is
current, which tasks need fixing and then of course add all the things that
don't work.

Ideally we also manage to blog about this to get some more attention :)

Cheers,
Frederik