kubuntu

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Tue Oct 9 15:18:32 BST 2018

Hi Daniel and everyone,

Kubuntu will not be very accessible at the moment. There was work in the past
and a lot of things have improved, but I am sure there are a lot of issues,
probably starting with getting a screen reader to read the login screen.

I'm very happy to see a bunch of blind users on this list showing interest
recently. I think what KDE really needs is someone to push for making it work
well with screen readers.
KDE consists of the applications and the Plasma desktop. Many of the
individual applications should be working, although I expect some tweaking
would make them work a lot better. Then there is the desktop environment
(Plasma) which has seen some testing and probably doesn't require
insurmountable amounts of work, but certainly some.

If any of you wants to champion testing and helping us get there, I think that
would be superb. The project will need patience and initially sighted
assistance would probably be needed, that said I'd be happy to try getting
anyone started.
The best setup would probably be a working Gnome environment with Plasma
installed side by side, so that it's just a matter of choosing one or the
other at login time. Maybe even self-compiled, to be able to test improvements
quickly so that we can iterate fast.

Cheers,
Frederik