libqaccessibilityclient

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Tue Nov 6 14:08:20 GMT 2018

Hi all,

I was just asked to make a new release of libqaccessibilityclient.
I'm not sure if I'll get around to it any time soon, so I was wondering if
anyone is interested.

Task: create a release - this means bumping the version number, doing a clean
git export and some other small task. If anyone is willing to do this, I'll
mentor happily. It's not very technical and should not take very long either.
But since I'm generally busy I don't want to constantly be the blocker for all
kinds of tasks. It's a nice way to get started.

Now I guess you may wonder what this little gem is?
It's a library to deal with accessibility information from the client point of
view, such as Orca would. This means it can find which object has the focus
and similar stuff. I don't think the architecture is the best it could be
(it's doing a lot of synchronous dbus calls, so falls into the same traps as
most of the stack), but it's a start at least.

When debugging accessibility issues it's nice at least, it contains a small
app that is similar to accerciser (and broken in different ways :P ).
Since I was looking at KWin I also added a small command line tool which
simply dumps the entire tree of accessible objects of any application, the
code is here: https://phabricator.kde.org/D16634 (waiting for review, maybe by
Chrys).

Other uses are in KMag which can follow the keyboard focus with the magnifier
that way. Maybe we should consider if that's desirable for the KWin effect
also.

Simon (the speech recognition app) can use it as well to let the user speak
various UI elements to trigger them.

Cheers,
Frederik