kde and speech

Gustav Degreef gustav97 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 11:23:11 UTC 2017

On 10/11/2017 11:58 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Jovie is not a screen reader. It is only useful to speak notifications
> from clock, etc.
snip
>  Orca is the recommended screen reader on plasma systems.
Perhaps Jovie is not technically a screen reader, but it is well
integrated into Okular and some other KDE applications.   In PDF files,
with Okular I select the text and right click.  A context menu opens
that has an option to read out the text.  In other applications, like
the browser, word processor or e-mail client, I just select the text,
then right click the Jovie icon in the system tray, and select the
option to read out the selected text, stop reading, etc.  I am seriously
visually impaired for more than 3 years, Jovie in a sense has saved my
life.  I tried four years back to integrate Orca into my KDE desktop and
I found it too difficult and cumbersome.

It would be very helpful to know where instructions are that describe
how to integrate Orca into KDE and use it as easily as Jovie can be
used.  A number of people who hear the output of Jovie comment that the
voices are terrible.  It would be great if Orca is a good replacement
with better sounding voices.   Gustav.