[Kde-accessibility] can't subscribe to list

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Wed May 11 15:33:31 UTC 2016

Jude,

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:54 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at panix.com> wrote:
> So kde didn't come up with its own screen reader, this is good to know.

Well some kde developers came up with kaccessible, which is a screen
reader that only works with Qt based applications. Orca seems to work
better since it can read the ui of both Qt based and GTK+ based
applications. Orca is supposed to "just work" with many applications,
however there may be some bugs in Qt itself or KDE libraries that give
it some trouble. I don't think it gets as much testing as it needs
either. It's a classic chicken and egg problem. Not enough people test
orca with kde/plasma, so bugs with that setup aren't reported as much
as bugs with other setups. Because it's not as well tested, there
aren't as many people trying it out either.

> What
> Apple did with VoiceOver in this context may be useful to describe.
>  In 2008 I purchased a Mac Mini which turned out to have the older chips in
> it that would not upgrade beyond snow leopard.  It came with OSX10.4 Tiger
> not installed.  I by myself hooked the computer up and tried to get it
> working not knowing the operating system was not already installed.  I was
> by myself at the time too.  I put one dvd in the combo drive and it got
> ejected promptly.  The package came with two dvd's so I was down to my last
> card.  I put the second DVD in the drive and it started spinning up.  I
> waited and suddenly VoiceOver came on and started asking questions which I
> answered with the keyboard.  When I finished I had to customize an operating
> system for accessibility I found a website for that later and got four years
> good use out of that computer until it was struck by lightning.  Such an
> experience has always been and I suspect will always be impossible with
> Microsoft Windows which is why I won't have it on any equipment I own and
> use; I can't reinstall it by myself on a bare metal machine.  What triggered
> VoiceOver wasn't anything I did, VoiceOver got triggered because I didn't
> answer a question that appeared on the screen within an expected time
> interval.  I am curious, could an installation disk go out and get orca if
> needed install orca and activate it in the event a would-be installer failed
> to answer a question within an expected time interval?

I was surprised the last time I installed debian that there was an
install option in the bootup to install with speech help. It was
terminal based, probably using speakup, but worked pretty well. I
can't remember if it ended up with a gui environment at the end or
not, but probably could.

BR,
Jeremy