[Kde-accessibility] HIG says no colon in front of combo boxes and line edits?

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed May 27 05:59:08 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander,

to be honest I'm never sure whether or not to use a colon. So this advice intends to unify the interface. All pages were discussed at the guidelines mailinglist (CC). And obviously we made a mistake here. The colon makes sense for external captions not only as part of a sentence but also in order to be accessible for screen readers (might not be true for Orca/Simon - CC'ing kde-accessibility). Therefore it is explicitly demanded for group boxes [1], for instance.

*  Use the group label to explain the purpose of the group, not how to make the selection. End each label with a colon.

And I not only missed the colon for combo boxes but referred to it falsely. My fault and many thanks for your attention. I double checked the other pages and found the same mistake for drop down, list view, and dual list [2,3,4]. And the reason is that I copied the text from radio button and check box where labels truly must no have a colon.

To cut a long story short, I changed the affected pages (anticipating acceptance) to

* End each label with a colon.

Thanks again for carefully reading the HIG. Please report any conspicuous statements you will find. There might be some more undesired easter eggs.

Cheers,
Heiko.

[1] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Labels

[2] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/DropDown