[Kde-accessibility] experimental idea with colour fonts

michel okgomdjgbmoij at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 22:02:16 UTC 2014

Dear Gustav

my comments are bellow your's

> > They are various things you can experiment with. I don't have your eyes,
> > you have to do this your self.
>
> I think you need to learn more about visual problems before you can
> assist people who have serious visual impairment.  This is a
> fascinating, perhaps promising project.  I don't know it's potential -
> at this point it's a theory.

Visual problems vary a lot. From the nearly normal to the almost blind. With
weird variations.
It's not possible to give all sizes fit all solution.

They are some people, that they have to literally put their faces right in
front of a screen, with letters magnified to almost the full hight of the
screen , to be able to read. These, would benefit hands down with a colour
alphabet....

The user has to define the colours that best uses what is left of his vision.
In combination with other existing methods like zooming......
At the very least, reading will become less straining.
Individualized solutions, will always beet "mass produced" generic solutions.

> > The default is crap, just a demo. I just put in random colours. Even, all
> > the numbers are the same colour :P. You'll need to chose what is easy for
> > you.
> I think that would be true with a proven "technology".  This is still in
> the experimental state, pre-alpha.  I don't have other assitive tech
> that I am struggling with, learning to cope with.  I think you need to
> refine this.

The "technology", is supposed to make it easy for you to change the colours.
For kate, the redefinition of colours is simple. It's all gui, no need to edit
a cryptic config file. No one will code something easier, until he gets
feedback, that the idea will be actually be used in real life....

I can edit the file for you, if that's the real concern...
You still need to tell me what colours you want though...
I'm not going to suck that from my thumb...

At the very least, try this.
Change all backgrounds to black, and the letters to yellow( like what you use
now).
Then change one letter and it's background to a different colour, a letter that
challenges you the most. For example, a dyslexic would chose "b" or "d". I
would chose red. So in my example, you'll have a red rectangle in place of "b"
and all the rest, yellow on black.
With a test like this, you should see and immediate small improvement.

..... i can just edit the file for you. You'll just need to delete the old, put
in the new and restart kate. (a new default)

I can prepare all the configurations that you would want to test....

> This is a fascinating, perhaps promising project.
You could at least stay and endure some experimentation?
It's hard to find people with visual impairments.
Or maybe help me find some volunteers?

....You get KDE for free, this could be your small way in contributing
something back....
Also, think of the kittens :P

I'm trying not to abuse your patience..... :)

regards

Michel