[Kde-accessibility] experimental idea with colour fonts

michel okgomdjgbmoij at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:29:56 UTC 2014

Dear Gustav

.... yea, the colour alphabet requires some learning curve. You can learn any
new alphabet in a week, but read fluidly quite a bit longer....

"harder for me to deal with"

The default is crap, just a demo. I just put in random colours. Even, all the
numbers are the same colour :P. You'll need to chose what is easy for you.

you can change the colours here (easy GUI with easy colour selector)
Settings>configure kate>Fonts and colors>hilighting text styles

Remember, the strategy is not to see the shapes, but to use the colours as
information carriers.

They are various things you can experiment with. I don't have your eyes, you
have to do this your self.

You can experiment with various details, like zoom and fonts. The fonts can be
normal, or just some special fonts to increase the visibility of both colours.
You can try the brutal, one colour for both the letter and background, you'll
need then to be able to distinguish between 24 colours.... You can set all
letters to normal, except for those that give you the most trouble. With this
i believe you should see an instantaneous small improvement in your reading
abilities. You should try, at least this last one, it's the easiest. Try to be
creative.....

I'll edit and send you the greasemonkey script with your choices, if you are
interested.

With custom colours you chose. Does it get any easier on your eyes?
You can't read fluidly immediately, that will take some time.
My question concerns the purely sensory aspect. Actual fluid reading requires
some learning curve.

Regards

Michel