[Kde-accessibility] experimental idea with colour fonts

Gustav Degreef gustav97 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:02:15 UTC 2014

On 10/09/2014 12:35 AM, michel wrote:
> try creating the directory and put it in.
> I hope that will work....
Sadly, it does not work.
> I have kate directory too, it's not the one.
>
> about the screen shots and their resolution, either i was sloppy, or it was
> enforced by the site. I don't remember.
The resolution is the major issue for "testing".  There is a concept in
scientific research, it is called "signal to noise ratio".   For the
signal to be perceived, for it to have an action, etc, the should be as
free of noise as possible.  The more "noise" - distortion, impurity, etc
that is associated/transmitted with the signal, the lower the signal to
noise ratio.  The lower the signal to noise ratio, the less likely that
that signal will cause the desired effect/action.

The screenshots show a "noisy" signal.  I found them very difficult to
process visually.  Partly the resolution, partly some of the colors are
hard to tell apart  and partly there was not enough contrast between the
letter and the background, to make each "character clearly
distinguishable from others.

> About the greasemonkey script.
All of that is way too complicated for me to deal with given my visual
impairment.  I avoid highly complex reading as much as possible because
it is a strain.  The same would be for most visually impaired people.

It is a fascinating idea.  However, it seems to be in an "alpha" state,
not yet beta ready for testing - with visually impaired subjects.
Perhaps if I could see it in kate, I might give better feedback.  Good
luck, Gustav.