[Kde-accessibility] Interested in extending Simon to use with IDEs

Peter Grasch me at bedahr.org
Wed Jun 5 16:49:35 UTC 2013

On 06/04/2013 10:15 PM, Patti Ordóñez Rozo wrote:
> I am very interested in extending Simon to include programming
> languages to enable individuals with physical disabilities to
> efficiently use IDEs such as Eclipse. Is this possible? If so, any
> pointers for where I should begin looking?
Yes, this is theoretically possible.

Programming with speech recognition has been done before - with very
convincing results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

How you could get started mostly depends on what exactly you want to
achive: Do you just want to control the IDE or do you want to actually
code?

The first one is obviously easy, the latter on a bit more tricky but
mostly doable.

How much time do you have to spent on this (manmonths)? Do you have
experience with speech recognition? What is your target programming
language (the one in which the user should code - I'm guessing Java
since you mentioned eclipse)?

I saw you posting something similar about Dasher to gnome-a11y. Are
you simply trying to compare different open source a11y solutions or
are you considering a multi-modal approach?

Best regards,
Peter