[Kde-accessibility] KMag

Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan ovidiu.b13 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 09:29:53 UTC 2013

I think this could be done with a plasmoid on a panel. I haven't used KMag nor made any plasmoids, yet. Could it be made to work as a panel plasmoid?

I'm imagining a wide panel with most of it being the view area and some controls on a side. Something like this: http://postimg.org/image/tziyt7pjf/

--
Regards,
Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 07:19:20 George Isaksen wrote:

Hi,
I sent this on 4/29/2013. but I got a message that it might be spam and I had no idea if it ever got to someopne at KDE.org. I am now resending it with the hope it will be on your "TO DO" list.

My name is George, and I am legally blind. I have what is known as macular degeneration.  My central vision is gone, and I depend on my peripheral vision and the windows XP magnifier to do computer tasks. I find that a "Desktop Magnifier" DOES NOT work.  I tried  KMag, but it lacks some attributes that would help people afflicted with macular degeneration.

This brings me to why I contacted you. Can the KMag utility be configured to work  similar to the windows XP magnifier? That is :

 1) Always on top, with one difference: It would reduce the bounds of the Desktop area available for applications. This way, other running applications would be forced to resize to fit below the magnifier viewing area.

 2) The controls and the magnified viewing area would be separate. The settings menu could be placed on a panel app on the taskbar or System Tray. This would ensure the best use of the viewable area.

I hope you have a solution to this problem, and would like to hear your thoughts on this matter as soon as possible. Thank you.

George Isaksen
George.isaksen at verizon.net