[Kde-accessibility] Simon with ArchLinux

Peter Grasch me at bedahr.org
Fri Feb 1 17:06:34 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 09:39 -0500, Mark Coolen wrote:
> I'd like to get Simon 0.4.0 working with Arch Linux which is a very
> popular rolling distribution.
> Simon is in the unsupport Arch User Repository right now at version
> 0.3.0, but I'd like to update it to 0.4.0 and want to have all my duck
> in a row.
Sounds great!

> Do I need to require all of the Sphinx packages? (sphinxbase,
> pocketsphinx, sphinxtrain, sphinx4 and cmuclmtk)
To enable SPHINX support in Simon, you'll need sphinxbase, pocketsphinx
and sphinxtrain (all at least version 0.8).

There are actually also a lot of other optional dependencies for Simon.
Most importantly, the Julius recognizer is an optional runtime
dependency that enables the use of HTK base models. Julius is small and
lightweight so you'll probably want to have your package depend on that.

To see a list of other, build-time dependencies, (re-)run "cmake ." in
your build folder. It'll print a list of them at the end.

> Do I need to require voxforge. The AUR has a voxforge-am-julius
> package that seems to be for the Julius speech system. Do I need to
> redo voxforge for simon, or is it not required for simon to function?
No, you do not need to package any acoustic models.
There is a built-in model download in Simon that will be shown to new
users on the first start to avoid the problem of different user
languages, etc. Moreover, Simon can also build speech models from
scratch in which case you don't need any additional files at all.

> Sorry about all the questions. I like the look of Simon and want to
> try it, but If I'm going to do it I might as well get it all working
> for others as well ;-)
No problem.

Best regards,
Peter