[Kde-accessibility] Programmatic control of Simon

Peter Grasch grasch at simon-listens.org
Fri Mar 2 17:44:34 UTC 2012

Hi Steve,

Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2012, 11:21:25 schrieb Steve:
> The application is to support surgeons in a hygienic but not necessarily
> clean
> environment. The application goes through both administrative and
> examination
> stages and the administrative stages do not need VR, but the examination
> stage very much does.
>
> The surgeon will wear a microphone/headphones during the exam stage and will
> use VR to control the operation of the a live video feed from the
> examination.
> In fact just like Amarok or something.
>
> The goal is to totally disable voice during other parts of the process (eg
> during booking appointments, although if that was ever telephone enabled, it
> might be quite cool).
Wow, that sounds very interesting indeed! Please keep in mind that we wouldn't
recommend to control surgical robots with simon just yet, though ;)

Is there a webpage of this project somewhere? I'd like to learn a bit more
about it...

> > However, if you want to disable the recognition completely, you can
>
> deactivate
>
> > simon like this:
> > qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1
>
> org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
>
> > false
> >
> > And reactivate it with:
> > qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1
>
> org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
>
> > false
> >
> > In contrast to the filtering approach, this will also stop the recording
>
> and
>
> > sound segmentation.
>
> It looks like this is the way to go.  What language is that C++?
That's actually not code at all. qdbus is a small command line utility to call
dbus commands. If you have it installed, those lines should work in a normal
bash.

If you want to use DBus more efficiently through a perl script, I'm sure there
are plenty of DBus modules available (I don't know perl, sorry).
The methods you're interested in:

Service: org.kde.simon
Interface: org.kde.SimonView
method setActivation(bool)