[Kde-accessibility] Programmatic control of Simon

Steve it at sca-uk.com
Thu Mar 1 14:21:25 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

> That's cool. Would you mind telling us a little bit more about that? We
are
> always interested to find out about practical applications of simon -
> especially in the medical field.

The application is to support surgeons in a hygienic but not necessarily
clean
environment. The application goes through both administrative and
examination
stages and the administrative stages do not need VR, but the examination
stage very much does.

The surgeon will wear a microphone/headphones during the exam stage and will
use VR to control the operation of the a live video feed from the
examination.
In fact just like Amarok or something.

The goal is to totally disable voice during other parts of the process (eg
during booking appointments, although if that was ever telephone enabled, it
might be quite cool).

> However, if you want to disable the recognition completely, you can
deactivate
> simon like this:
> qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1
org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
> false
>
> And reactivate it with:
> qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1
org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
> false

> In contrast to the filtering approach, this will also stop the recording
and
> sound segmentation.

It looks like this is the way to go.  What language is that C++? Do you know
of
a Perl module for access Simon as that is our primary language.

Thanks

Steve