[Kde-accessibility] Support for onscreen keyboard

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Thu Jan 19 09:36:45 UTC 2012

On 17. jan. 2012, at 11.21, Deri James wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 Jan 2012 03:31:36 Kyle Pablo wrote:
>> Hello Frederik,
>>
>>     If Maliit will work with the Plasma Active API that's great.  I'm
>> really interested in seeing KDE have a virtual/onscreen keyboard with
>> enhanced features for the disabled.  I can type faster on my Android
>> phone (word completion) compared to using xvkbd or kvkbd.  I use to use
>> kvkbd but the pressing of the buttons became too sensitive.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Kyle
>
> I find Dasher (http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/) the easiest and
> fastest input method for my disability (cerebral palsy), the only drawback is
> its non-integration with KDE. If someone could port it to Plasma that would be
> fantastic.
>
> If any work was done I'd suggest splitting the word prediction/completion
> code, in Dasher, into a separate (dbus?) modulle which can be used by the
> whole of KDE where word completion is appropriate.

I know Harald worked on a Qt version of Dasher and it does work. That does not mean it's anywhere near maintained or itegrated.

It would be great if someone could pick up all of this.

I'd certainly try to help, but have my hands more than full, so I won't touch keyboards in the near future.

Cheers
Frederik