[Kde-accessibility] Programmatic control of Simon

Peter Grasch grasch at simon-listens.org
Tue Feb 28 08:08:56 UTC 2012

Hi Steve,

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012, 08:45:51 schrieb Steve:
> I hope this is the right list for this request.
Yes, it is :D

> I'm working on a medical system that I hope will use Simon as its input
> device for some aspects.
That's cool. Would you mind telling us a little bit more about that? We are
always interested to find out about practical applications of simon -
especially in the medical field.

> As not all of the aspects of the system will need VR I'd like to be able to
> programmatically control when Simon is Active for VR and when it is not.  Is
> this possible?  If so how do I do it?
There are two options for that depending on what you want to accomplish.

If your goal is to temporarily "disable" the recognition to re-enable it with
a voice command (something like Dragons "go to sleep" / "wake up") then you
can't really turn the recognition off but need to disable the command system
temporarily. You can do that with the Filter command plugin (the scenario
"[EN/VF] Recognition Control" does that for example - it's available through
the scenario import).

As you can trigger commands through DBus you can activate / de-activate the
filter this way:
Deactivate recognition (activate filter):
qdbus org.simon-listens.ActionManager /ActionManager
local.ActionManager.triggerCommand Filter "Activate Filter"

Activate recognition (deactivate filter)
qdbus org.simon-listens.ActionManager /ActionManager
local.ActionManager.triggerCommand Filter "Deactivate Filter"

As the filter just "filters out" commands, its scenario needs to be the first in
the list to make sure it is consulted first in the command evaluation process.

However, if you want to disable the recognition completely, you can deactivate
simon like this:
qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1 org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
false

And reactivate it with:
qdbus org.kde.simon /simon/MainWindow_1 org.kde.simon.SimonView.setActivation
false

In contrast to the filtering approach, this will also stop the recording and
sound segmentation.

Best regards,
Peter