[Kde-accessibility] jovie and mbrola

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Dec 17 15:45:29 UTC 2012

Bob,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.  Unfortunately KDE3's KTTS and KDE4's
Jovie are quite different,  KTTS handled talking to the synthesizers by
itself with plugins, whereas Jovie only sends data to speech-dispatcher and
it does all the work of sending data to festival or espeak or whatnot.  In
the past I've used jovie with mbrola voices but I think I had to use
festival and configure it to use the mbrola voices.  I'm surprised that
Jovie can't see the festival synthesizer, but I haven't tried that in quite
some time, so I'll give it a try this week sometime and see what might be
going wrong there.  Could you send me the contents of your speechd.conf
files so I can see how speech-dispatcher has been set up?  They are located
at /etc/speech-dispatcher and ~/.speech-dispatcher/conf here on my system.

thanks,
Jeremy