[Kde-accessibility] Accessible text entry in QT applications

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Wed Aug 8 15:15:41 UTC 2012

Hi Alex,

Mandag 6. august 2012 11.58.27 skrev Alex Midence:
> Hi, all,
>
> I just wanted to  touch base with everyone here and find out what
> progress has been made with regard to reading accessibly text entry
> fields and text editing in general in qt applications.  I tried KDE
> out in April and found that I could not use KMail and Kate due to some
> text editing accessibility issues that needed to be ironed out.  I am
> an Orca user and would very much like to be able to use this
> functionality in KDE at some point as I really liked the desktop
> itself.

Thanks for trying KDE accessibiliyt and pushing us to fix things.

I just updated to KDE 4.9 and I'll check out Kate.

For KMail the problem is still that webkit is used to display the email. I'm
not sure how well the workaround we added for that is (it just grabs the text
of the email, there is no cursor functionality and we don't have an accessible
Qt WebKit yet).

For Kate I found one obvious bug (not properly exposing the text interface)
which is now fixed, so it will be a tiny bit better in KDE 4.9.1.
In general the editing doesn't seem good yet. I'll spend some more time on
this one.

I think we have a slightly better text editing experience in Qt Creator. If
you feel like trying that and telling us how far you get that would be much
appreciated.

Cheers
Frederik